Bar Membership & Registration

Completion of the Juris Doctor law study program over a four-year period is designed to meet the requirements for licensure and admission to practice in the California State Courts and the United States Federal Courts as a California attorney.

Admission to the practice of law in the State of California is regulated by Sections 6060-6069.5 of the Business and Professions Code of the State of California and by the rules of the Committee of Bar Examiners. Each student is responsible to comply with the requirements established by the Committee of Bar Examiners. Those students seeking Bar eligibility are advised to obtain and read the Rules of the State Bar of California, which are available on their website: It is the student’s responsibility to meet all California State Bar requirements.

The requirements for licensure and admission to practice in the courts of other states may not be met by graduation from Northwestern California University. However, many states within the United States will admit an attorney to practice after he or she has passed the bar of another jurisdiction, such as California, and has practiced law for a period of time, usually five years.

Registration with the State Bar of California as a Law Student

Every student seeking admission to practice law in California is required to register with the Committee of Bar Examiners. Students who enroll in Northwestern California University should register with the Committee of Bar Examiners within 90 days of enrollment. The student registration numbers assigned by the Committee to new students must be furnished to the University by each student within 60 days of receipt thereof.

First-Year Law Students Exam (Baby Bar)

After successfully completing one year of study, students must take and pass the California Baby Bar exam. Transfer students who completed at least one year at a law school which is approved by the American Bar Association or accredited by the California State Bar, and who were eligible for advancement into second year or beyond, are exempt from the Baby Bar requirement.

Social Security Number Requirement

The State Bar of California requires a Social Security Number to register as a law student or to take the Baby Bar or General Bar exam. An exemption exists for foreign students, but an application for exemption is required. The requirements can be viewed on the State Bar of California website at